I have made it a point to not get political here. I don't really want any dischord in my life or my cyber-life. But I am going to step a bit, just a big toe dipping into this political pool, so please bear with me.
I am a birth doula. I am also a post-partum doula. And I am a massage therapist who specializes in prenatal and infant massage. I am also a mother. And I hope one day to be a grandmother. So you might tend to pigeon-hole me into the group of people who like to call themselves Pro-Life. Who would not want to consider themselves Pro-Life? Are we ever Anti-Life?
Groups have ways of finding innocuous-sounding names to bring in people who might never darken their doors had they really known the group's agenda.
Because of all that mentioned above, I am firmly encamped in the Pro-Choice side of this debate. One thing that is sacred to me as a woman mentoring other women is choice. I tell every. single. one. of my clients over and over again
If you don't know your choices, you have none.
It's true. It is true about childbirth, about parenting, about making food choices, about budgeting, whatever. If you only know one way, that's what you do. If you only have one viable choice, you go along. Even if there is a niggling little feeling in the back of your heart telling you "there must be another way".
So, today I am here to say that this is absolute bullshit being put out there that funding must be cut to Planned Parenthood. Please go check out Planned Parenthood and see just exactly what kind of work they do. There is so much need for the kind of education they provide, the testing of HIV they do, the pregnancy testing, just everything.
If the Pink Bus is coming to a city near you, please go and support them. Go and find out. Go and educate yourself about the need to educate.
Just don't do nothing while they get their funding slashed and the rights of women get trampled and thrown back to the 1940's.
I work with pregnant teenagers, some who have homes, some who do not. I work with some at the juvenile detention center. And I work with some who believe they are in a committed relationship and have the rose-colored view that everything will be the way they are picturing it in their head as opposed to reality. The numbers of my actual clients who end up staying together with their boyfriend, keeping their babies, and living as a family unit are dismal. This never happens. It does not matter what the ecomonic level of the family is, this is such a ridiculously hard way to start out, that most of these girls can not find their way through it with this dream intact.
What they need is more support from the community. From people like me who have lists and lists of organizations, agencies and such that can provide education, support groups for the young moms and dads, access to birth control so that they can cope with what they have before adding to it.
What they don't need is to be treated like children who have done wrong and now have to be punished. "You made this bed, now you have to lie in it". Really? That's how you want them to approach parenting? As a consequence of being bad? How does that translate to their feelings about this baby? Are you able to love a baby that is a daily reminder of your transgressions and your failings?
It's a thorny issue this one. I just thought I would go ahead and let you know my stance on this. I will be standing outside my closest Planned Parenthood clinic tonight from 6 to 8 p.m. in solidarity with others.
Please do some research and arm yourself with facts. If you don't know your choices, you have none.
Here, here! This is a fabulous post, Lisa Pie. I have always been pro-choice because there are so many scenarios not cut and dried that lead up to a woman/girl becoming pregnant.
ReplyDeleteWhen my daughter was in high school, girls that were not close to their mothers got a lot of information from PP. They did not BECOME pregnant because of the information they sought out. Yes, sex ed is taught in school in a co-ed class. How much info can be absorbed with all the innuendo bouncing off the hormones?
Today my friend, you are my hero. Please don't get yourself any more sick than you already are.
Amen, LisaPie, Amen!! And Duffylou too!
ReplyDeleteI hate the titles - pro-life or pro-choice. Why can't we be both?
You're my hero too. You rock!
Awww, shucks. You girls are sweet to say that. Can you tell there's a little fire and passion behind my thoughts? : )
ReplyDeleteMy comment has apparently been stewing for the past 18 hours ;) I have always considered myself "pro-life" (if one must be labeled), with the caveat of some exceptions in the case of rape and incest/molestation.
ReplyDeleteChris has this ridiculous habit of watching Nancy Grace during breakfast, and of course there are always cases of abused/murdered children. Yesterday's was especially gruesome - to the point that I was nearly crying, imaging how this 3 year old boy who had been beaten by his mom's boyfriend and sat clinging to life for hours, wheezing and suffering, until his mom finally called 911 because his wheezing was keeping her from sleeping. He died. I thought to myself as I read your post, "wouldn't it just have been better had he never been born," and I wondered if I had somehow become pro-choice (if one must be labeled).
But I have to believe that everything is created for God's purpose, so I have decided not to switch sides ;) But.... your post really got me thinking, which is awesome! I know that's not the whole point of PP, and I do agree that they do some tremendously great work. ok, I think that's all.
Planned Parenthood was a Godsend when I was in high school and after and I've always been a supporter.
ReplyDeleteI wish the anti-abortionists would spend their energies on the children who are with us and desperately need their help. It's like the interest stops with birth.
Great post. I, too, am pro-choice. No one likes abortion. But, people need a safe place instead of a back alley and a coat hanger. Abortions will happen. That fact will never change. I whole-heartedly support choice.
ReplyDeleteHallelulah Sista! This is such an intimate, personal, life changing issue. Why in god's name does the government (i.e., 90% white rich men - NOT a jury of my peers) get a say in what happens in my own uterus? Whichever side you as a woman come down on, hallelulah, because it is *your* choice and not some politician's trying to get re-elected.
ReplyDeleteAmen!
ReplyDelete