Who sings that country song "Where I come from, lots of front porch sittin'"? Isn't it Alan Jackson? He is one handsome, tall drink of water, as people say. Let's have a look, shall we?
Yep, it's five o'clock somewhere.
Anyhoo . . . . Back to the front porck sittin' issue. My house doesn't have a front porch, which saddens me greatly. I love a porch. Or a veranda. Or a patio. Or a lanai. Or a courtyard. Whatever you want to call an outdoor house-adjacent sitting and rocking spot. I like 'em.
We have a huge backyard with a nice table, chairs and a shade umbrella. But there's something about sitting out front and waving and saying Hey to the neighbors that is appealing.
Our front yard is also huge. It might be huger than the backyard, but I have no way of knowing that because I am the world's worst person at spacial perception. Never let me try to pack your leftovers away in Tupperware, because I will pick the wrong size 48 times and we will have to wash out those other 47 containers.
So back to the huge front yard. It is bisected by a large semi-circular driveway. So there is a part that is next to the street that has a stand of live oak trees in the middle. And there is the section from the driveway up to the house. That section is cut down the middle by the sidewalk steps that lead up to the house. This means that there are basically 3 sections to the front yard. Y'all still with me here?
There are a couple of spots that I have been looking at for possibilities for front yard sitting. One down in the middle of the stand of trees. But this is where we hang the hammock so maybe not the best choice. Then there is a nice flat area under a couple of trees over on the right. That is the spot I have chosen.
We went down and bought this patio table and chair set that I had been watching in the circulars for some time. It is a really nice set and seems very sturdy and comfortable. I will get outside and take some pics of it so you can see what I am talking about.
Last year I had bought Mr. Big Ed a couple of the coolest solar lanterns to hang in the trees you have ever seen. And he has let those boxes just sit there for months! Hasn't done a damn thing with them. So I got them out and hung them in the tree right by the new table and chairs.
Here is a pic of the new lanterns
This photo is from the website of the company that makes these gorgeous things, but these are exactly the two I bought. And let me tell you how fabulous those silk lanterns look all on their own without the light shining through them. They are gorgeous!
And since I am bragging on this company, here is a link to their site. They have all sorts of beautiful solar lanterns. I think I need about 4 more of them. They really are spectacular. Check them out, I think you will like their goods.
Now that I am getting my little front porch sittin' area together, we are using it every single day. Mr. Big Ed and I have been taking our giant mugs o'tea out there and sitting with the newspaper on Sunday mornings. And now you know where I am when I am reading the obits! (It always comes back to the obit reading, doesn't it?)


I have a front porch. I also have about twenty feet of front yard. When I sit on the front porch I look directly at the house across the street. They also have a twenty foot yard, but no front porch, (so they're not looking at me.) Our backyard is more secluded so that's where I spend most of my time. I am in an urban/suburban setting. Wish I lived more rural, like where my horse is located.
ReplyDeleteLove that website. Thanks for the hook up.
Ooooh, I love those lanterns! Especially the light bulb shaped one.
ReplyDeleteWe have a wonderful covered front porch that is just perfect for sitting and watching the world go by. Unfortunately, we never do. Sit out on it, I mean. Although I will go out and sit on the steps sometimes.
Now that I think about, nobody in our neighborhood really sits out on their front porches. And that's a gosh darn shame.
I love it! The weather has been SO gorgeous lately - perfect sitting weather.
ReplyDeleteI hate my neighbors ;)
Y'all should all definitely take up sitting out front. Either you will make friends with your neighbors or in QueenB's case, you can just annoy the beejeebers out of them!
ReplyDeleteWhen we lived in MD, we had a great front porch and our cul-de-sac was known for it's "porch parties". As soon as you would sit on your porch, a neighbor or two would venture over, then the wine would come out and the next thing you know, a porch party.
ReplyDeleteWe have a beautiful patio with a fireplace here in Austin (it's for sale..anyone? anyone?) and no front porch in DC. But! We do have a very nice backyard and I plan to do a lot of socializing there.
I'm with you, though, nothing beats waving to the neighbors from your front porch. Miss that!
I like the quiet and seclusion of my side yard (on a corner here) to sit. Actually, my sitting in the swing is a quiet, renewal time for me. I would only sit on a front porch if it were secluded and annoying people would not speak or come to the porch. My neighbors don't sit on their front porches or speak or wave to anyone, so hoping for company would be useless. Being alone is nice when I just go out to rest and watch my three hens.
ReplyDeleteI like to have parties and wish my porch were repaired so I could hold them there. For about two years, I had a party once a month, winter and summer.