Monday, January 31, 2011

Hummingbird topics

You know how a hummingbird flits from one thing to another?  That's kind of what I am doing today. It's all over the map!  Do try to keep up.  : )

First off!  On the t.v. front which I have posted nothing for weeks and weeks.!

I was watching Medium a week or so ago and in the first 5 minutes they led us to believe that they had killed off her husband.  (or had they?)  Then it went on doing it's Medium thing where she dreams about things and people around her tell her she is nuts and has no proof, blah blah blah. Seriously?  This is the whole reason she was hired and then they want to stand around and argue with her?  And the deal with the husband kept getting interwoven into the court case they were showing and finally *****SPOILER ALERT*****

Don't read this paragraph if you haven't seen this episode and if you care.  So FINALLY, her husband comes to her not in a dream but when she is awake and tells her that he is indeed dead and that the whole show we had just watched was not her real life like she was imagining, but was her dream that he was still alive.  He is dead and wants her to know that life for her and the girls can still be a good one and that he will be watching over them and will see her again in the afterlife.  So sad.  I admit I cried here.  Fast forward 47 years to Allison sitting in an old people's home talking on what appears to be a cel phone from the future with a grandchild.  Then she just closes her eyes and kind of exhales and is gone.  Next scene is the current day Allison looking at her old body self and realizing she is dead and over in the corner is Joe, waiting for her. They are reunited to spend eternity together in their young bodies.  Then it showed each of the cast members from the beginning  and through the years of the show and saying farewell.  It ended with Patricia Arquette saying goodbye as the set was being taken down around her.

Would you say that maybe this series has ended?  I had no idea that this was coming to a close, but close it did.  It was a very cool ending for a show that was kind of mediocre towards the end.  Anyhoo . . . . .

On to the obits!  I didn't do them last week so you are in for a treat!  Two, two, two weeks in one!

Ada Allen Hall died and by faith in Christ Jesus entered the gates of the larger life on the 27th of Jan.
**Seriously?  the gates of the larger life?


A lovely lady of 88 years was named Mildred and was married to a man named Kermit.
**I can totally imagine saying to Mr. Big Ed, "We should have Mildred and Kermit over to play some dominoes"  R.I.P. Millie


Listen to this one:  "On Jan. 20, 2011, the Lord called home one of his angels. Ninfa passed away at the XYZ Health Center after a long battle with illness."
**Illness, you say?  I am sorry, I was hoping for a little more detail than illness.


Louis Gene, one of God's Fisher's of Men passed into the presence of God. He was surrounded by his family as he passed into eternity.
**Firstly, that second apostrophe in Fishers was unnecessary, and secondly, that seemed to be a lot of "passing".  Turns out he is a friend of a friend and very nice man who worked tirelessly ministering through many different outreach programs.  It's a sad day when someone as giving as that has to die and at only 67 years of age, too.


Helen Virginia met the love of her life, Loren, at Wyandott High School in Kansas City where they were hall monitors together.  They were married on July 1, 1941.  Helen was born to Chauncie and Rachel Gibson and had a sister named Lolly.
**Hall monitors together!  I love it.  And how can you come up with more awesome names than Chauncie and Lolly in the same family?


On Jan. 17, Eva May, after having been loaned to us, her family, for 63 years, 5 months and 17 days made her final journey home to be with our Heavenly Father.

Mildred (another Mildred!) A. Schneider, Pearl Harbor survivor,  passed away Jan. 17.
**Ok, how can you lead with Pearl Harbor survivor, and then nothing.  No story, no information, nothing. I think they missed a golden opportunity to honor Miss Mildred here.


Mary Elizabeth Benke, age 90, went to God's Garden.

On Jan 18, after spending a quiet evening with his daughter and loved ones, Antonio "Tony" Rodriguez entered into God's loving arms.

WWII veteran Harvey Bamford Piper beloved husband and father, grandfather and great grandfather died peacefully at home, surrounded by his adoring family. Harvey was born to Alfred and Julia Piper. He married the lovely Nora Agnes.
**They just don't name babies Harvey Bamford and Nora Agnes anymore.  I bet they would come play dominoes, or maybe they are more likely Mah Jongg players?

Hugh H. Hardeman will be remembered as a WWII Veteran, square dance, domino player, golfer and that he retired as a Special Agent for the I.R.S.
**That seems to be pretty memorable stuff!


Clarence Hall, friend, brother, father, uncle, grandfather and raconteur died of natural causes on Jan 15.
He was known as J.R., Cecil, C.A., Clarence, the Big C, Dad and Grandpa C.
**Holy Moly!  Raconteur?  All those nicknames?  There should be some awesome and fabulously interesting stories here.  But no, there are tales of him being a coach.


The very best one was Mr. Abram J. Gerson.  A concentration camp survivor from Poland, who was able to make it through by playing his violin for the soldiers in exchange for food. He was in the prison camp for six years and after liberation was sent to a make-shift hospital to recuperate from starvation and malnourishment.  And get this!  In the hospital was where he was reunited with his childhood sweetheart who was working as a nurse's aide.  She had also been imprisoned at the concentration camps. They promised to never lose each other again.  They traded chocolates and cigarettes in exchange for a small wedding band and bribed a justice of the peace to marry them.  Later they were able to emigrate to the U.S.  Mr. Gerson used to say "People who don't like this country don't know what they're talking about. You have to have your liberties taken away from you to really appreciate what this country offers."  He is survived by his beloved Miriam, a son and daughter, 4 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

**Doesn't that bring all kinds of emotions?  Tears of joy, hope, pride and complete amazement over their story.  They could make a movie of this and it would be a huge blockbuster!   I am so in awe of the legacy he leaves behind.  His family line was not to be extinguished by the evil of that war.  R.I.P. Abram.


Enjoy your day!  

7 comments:

  1. I skipped Medium even though I knew it was the finale. I did turn it on just to see what it looked like. I couldn't believe how old the youngest girl is. I guess it's been some time since I've watched.

    Your obits today had real back stories. It makes me happy to think they had a chance to lead happy, fulfilling lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update on Medium - I haven't watched it in a while, but I always sort of had a crush on the husband!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha. I'm a master of hummingbird mentality. LOVE the obit commentary :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm an avid obituary reader, too. Although the obits in the Long Beach Blab (Press Telegram) are usually pretty dull.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the BEST idea ever. I remember my high school boyfriend used to read the obits, and he called me once to say The Boogeyman died. Some guy was in there listed as Mike The Boogeyman Johnson or something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made me cry.Medium is on of my favorite shows. I have not watched it in four years because of work and then not having tv reception. I suppose I will have to buy it all on DVD. Joe was so cute. Long hair on guys does not turn me on, but I could make an exception for him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you read the obits weekly, and share with us the intriguing ones. I LOVE Mr. Gerson's obit....You're totally right: a movie or book needs to be written about him immediately. What a wonderful, wonderful ending to such a life.

    ReplyDelete