Oh my. Sparky and I went to see David Sedaris last night and it was so much fun. It was well worth every penny. We got there really early, like an hour and a half early, and believe it or don't we found a good parking spot! Gasp! That NEVER happens!
We wander inside the building and right up to a table that is selling DS books. There will be time for a book signing and they wanted to make sure we have all the books we need to be signed. Guess who had to buy more DS books?
All my effing books are either on my Kindle (heart the Kindle) or audio books. No actual books for signing. This might be the biggest drawback to the Kindle. So I chose 2 of my favorites and was just standing around there in the big hallway next to a sign. It said "No Photographs". Maybe people thought I was famous and carried that signage around with me everywhere I go?
Anyhoo, there I am standing and waiting. Sparky had to find the restroom and we were waiting for 2 other people to join us and we had their tickets. So I am standing around being conspicuous. With my sign. And an official-looking lady comes over and says "Good job, being first in line!" And I said "Really?" Then she answered me that "Yes, you are first in line for the early book signing. He is going to do a signing before and after the show."
Yay! I was first in line. So eventually, David Sedaris showed up at the table and asked me to come over. We chatted and it was wonderful. He signed my books. And I rambled on about how I love his books and I have all his books, just on the Kindle, so I had to get new copies so that I could stand in line to get him to sign them. He very cleverly signed one of my books and drew a picture of my Kindle on it and said "There! There's a picture of your Kindle. In case it ever gets stolen you can show this to the police so they will know what it looks like." Heeee!
He signed my second book and drew me a picture of a rabbit wearing glasses. Just because.
Then he asked me who I was with and I called Sparky over and introduced them. And then he gave us some postcards he had made up. One is a picture of a dog skull and skeleton and it says "Pekingese" and the other is like a hand-written sign that says "Abortions $3.00" O. M. G.!!
We stood, we visited, we schmoozed. It was wonderful. I could have gone home right then. But no, we stood around f o r e v e r waiting for the stupid people to open the auditorium doors. Thousands of people milling about in a tiny area outside the doors and it was hot and claustrophobia-inducing and uncomfortable and gross. I kept smelling other people, their breath, their sweat, their heavily-applied colognes and was getting on the verge. You know what I mean?
So, they at long last opened up the auditorium doors and we went in and found our seats. It was airy, cool and fresh in there and praise the Lord for that!
David Sedaris came on stage and was charming, witty and hilarious. He read us stories that are new and not-yet-titled. He read us stories from The New Yorker. And then he read to us from his diaries. Hilarious entries from his diaries. And if that weren't enough he read to us from his favorite new book and I can't even remember this guy's name to pass it on to you. I will ask Sparky tonight and post something about it tomorrow. Then he asked them to raise the lights and did a Q&A just taking random questions from the audience. And you know how in his stories he starts out on one topic and rambles over to here and then there and flits all over and is nowhere near the original paragraph? That is exactly what happened when he was answering questions too. I love that so much!
Tomorrow I will tell you all about a story he shared with us from his diaries. It was hysterically funny, is what it was.
I'll be honest (and you can be LisaPie): I've attempted to read DS' books and just didn't "get" the humor. I know, I know.
ReplyDeleteHonest Kelly Pie,
ReplyDeleteCan I also be Earnest? Hee! I find every word out of his mouth hilarious. You know how it is. Some people are just on the same frequency or wavelength or whatever it is that we get on.
The story he tells about finding out about the Dutch version of Santa Claus is one of the funniest things I have ever heard in my life. I will see if I can find that one somewhere for you.
I'm with Kelly, I've started two of his books, thinking maybe the first one just wasn't my style. But no, I couldn't get into either one of them. However, I do understand about umor being different for everyone.
ReplyDeleteBesides, I honestly have not found anyone who made me laugh as hard and as loud as Erma Bombeck. God rest her.
So glad you had a good time. And bonus that you were first in line and got to him when he was all fresh and stuff!
Wow! that sounds AWESOME! that is so cool that he drew you pictures and was real and personable and wow, what an experience.
ReplyDeleteHumor is one of those very personal things. My kids love Tom Green and I get annoyed with him after about 5 seconds. Also Sarah Silverman, they love her and she just irritates me.
ReplyDeleteErma Bombeck was wonderful. She was someone I think every woman in America could relate to.