Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Exciting News from Broadway

You know how every one who has ever recorded more than 3 songs now has a musical production being made with a storyline of their music?

Jersey Boys.

Rain.

Billy Joel. (what was the name of that one?)

Mamma Mia

etc., etc., ad nauseum.

I just read in the news that there's another one coming down the pike.  Yay!  It's gonna be a good one.

Any guesses as to whom?

Well, his name starts with John and ends with Denver!!


JOHN DENVER!

Here is what the article had to say: "A Moment in Time" follows the story of a mortally wounded marine in Afghanistan who recalls a happier time with his family in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. The project was developed by five-time Tony Award winner Stewart F. Lane, who was recently honored with the 2011 John Denver Spirit Award."




John Denver.












Has there ever been a more universally-loved performer than John Denver?  Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, in the 1970s had someone sing "Annie's Song" at their weddings.  That is one of my all time favorite songs.  I could listen to it on repeat for hours and hours.  (And I have. And I still do!)  The emotion always overwhelms me and I end in joyous tears.


The only redeeming thing about that shitty Pauly Shore movie "Son-in-law" was John Denver's "Thank God I'm a Country Boy".


And as far as I am concerned there is nothing that says "Hey, it's Christmas time!" like John Denver and the Muppets singing the Twelve Days of Christmas.




John Denver took us to the tops of the Rocky Mountains.  He took us all under the sea with Jacques Cousteau.  And it was his dream to go into space.  If he could imagine it, he could sing about it and take us there.

I will leave you with an absolutely gorgeous live version of "Annie's Song" to make your heart swell and send you on your day with joy.







5 comments:

  1. I hope this comes to the theater where you have season tickets. A night of singing John Denver tunes! What fun.

    When Melissa graduated high school I gave her tickets to the show of Billy Joel songs. I don't remember the name of it. But she was thrilled. Then a couple years ago I gave her tickets to see the real Billy Joel in concert.

    And thanks for putting Annie's Song on here for us to enjoy. It sure beats the terrible song that was in my head today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been to three (yes, only 3) concerts in my life. The first one was John Denver way back a long time ago. I loved it and I love his songs still.

    When I am putting up the Christmas decorations, that CD is the first one in the player to get me in the mood. :)

    I didn't know he was a Marine. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dawn,
    I am pretty sure the Marine part is just about the storyline of the new musical. I don't know if John Denver was actually a Marine or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, "An Evening With John Denver" is still one of my all-time favorite albums.

    ReplyDelete
  5. John Denver was never in the military. I love John Denver and all his songs, especially Annie's Song, The three hens were disturbed by it. They are trying to sleep, snoring now. They really hate Little House on the Prairie theme song. I think I will dig out my John Denver cd for tomorrow when the hens are outdoors. Thanks. Now, I will play the video again.

    ReplyDelete