Saturday, October 29, 2011

Enchiladas, Rice and Beans

You're hungry now, aren't you?  Enchiladas, Rice and Beans sounds good, doesn't it?

But I am not here today to talk to you about food.  Not food for your body, anyway.  You could consider this food for your soul.



This is a book that I have on my shelf.  It is honestly one of the best books I have ever read.  I bought this book years and years ago, but just last week I pulled it down and am now re-reading it.

As a person who was born to be a lover of all things Mexican, and as a person who has lived either in Mexico or on the border for most of my life this book is truly one that speaks to me.  I just adore this book.

Sr. Daniel Reveles has written what I consider to be a piece of art.  Actually, each chapter could stand alone as a little vignette, a snapshot of life in a Mexican border town.  You will fall in love with each and every person you encounter in your travels through his stories of Tecate.

You know how Northern Exposure made you want to go find the fictional town of Cicely, Alaska and listen to Chris in the morning on the radio?  And go to Hollings place to eat and have a beer?  That's what this book does for Tecate.

Go to Amazon.com and get yourself a copy.  I promise that whenever you find yourself in need of a great book to read to warm your heart and make you roll around laughing and then alternately weep, this book will do that for you.  Because when you want to feel warm, cozy and comforted what's better than Enchiladas, Rice and Beans?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Thanks! I got my Kindle version and am gonna start it when I finish "Sacred Hearts: A Novel" by Sarah Dunant. It's about a girl forced into a convent - I'm about halfway through, and it's really interesting. I hope, hope, hope it has a good ending!!! :)

    ReplyDelete