Sunday, March 14, 2010

More Obits

It's Sunday afternoon and since Patty Cakes is spending the day with her family while they celebrate her birthday, I had to read the obits all by myself.  (Happy Birthday!!)

Here are a few highlights of this week's obituaries:

Euphemisms for "dead":

Entered eternal rest - 3
Passed Away (some peacefully) - 19
Went to be with the (or his/her) Lord - 9
Died - 4
Called to be with the Heavenly Father - 1
Passed from the world into the presence of our Heavenly Father - 1
Left the confines of this earth after a long struggle with heart and lung disease - 1
Embraced God - 1
None - 3

Amazingly 3 different families chose to not state the obvious, that their loved one is now deceased.  It seems to me that you should include this fact in an obituary, but maybe they were just not ready to come to grips with that?

Award for most awkward sentence structure:  "Jane Doe was born June 4,1921 in Unnamed City. She lived a full and wonderful life and most enjoyed spending time with her family, who surrounded her when she died at home on March 11, 2010 at the age of 88."

This week's most fun list of names in a single family:  Enora, Otto, Melata, Ilta, Eugene, Earhart, Elton, Edger, Leroy, Marbeth and Mobert.  Now, that's a mouthful when you are calling people in to dinner!

I was happiest to see that there were no children or babies listed this week.  

Patty Cakes and I are hoping to start attending the services they have for the homeless veterans.  We have the second largest military cemetery in the country and it is HUGE.  All the people who are under the Dignity Memorial Homeless Veteran Burial Program are buried on Wednesday mornings.  I think we will have to call ahead and find out if they will let us and how we get passes and that sort of thing.  It seems like a good thing to do.  We will be like the Funeral Crashers instead of the Wedding Crashers.  : )

5 comments:

  1. ooh, funeral crashing sounds fun :) you need "passes" for that?!

    I think I would like mine to say, "Sara has left us to go hang out with God's Angels (not Charlie's, nor the Anaheim Angels to clarify). What would yours say?

    Awkward sentence structure: wow, I know it's pay-by-the letter, but that is one jammed together list of facts!

    You just don't meet that many Marbeth's these days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a noble cause! That is such a wonderful thing to do! It makes me sad that there are veterans with no one to honor them.

    And yes, that sentence actually made me wince. What a shame the last thing written about someone is such crap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this obit about a month ago, I guess, and you'll see why it stayed in my mind. I'm only including the first sentence but I think you'll enjoy it:

    "Joseph S. Puleo, Jr., 52, affectionately known as "Dirt Bag", a resident of Hopewell Junction since 1995 and formerly from Rye Brook and New Rochelle, died suddenly and unexpectedly on Thursday, February 11, 2010 at his home with his family."

    Nice, huh?! I wonder if they got "Dirt Bag" engraved on his headstone, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suddenly AND unexpectedly? Both? Well, way to surprise the hell out of the fam there, Dirt Bag!

    Now, that's a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa Pie, email me...
    I too have met Jill and listened to her speak. Are you a BC'er?

    ReplyDelete