Tuesday, August 2, 2011

In other news . . . . .

I am so sorry for the delay in posting anything.  But I gotta tell you, after the horror of the last post I just could not figure out a decent way to segway into another topic.  If and when anything happens on that issue, I will be sure to let you know.

So today I am going to ramble on about a few different topics, but first!

Fun with the Obits!

Yay!!!  There were some doozies in this week's obits.  But the first one we are going to talk about sparked a little ruckus in my very own kitchen.  Here's what it said:  "Juan M. is loved and will be greatly missed by his wife of 49 years and 11 months, Teresa S., 4 sons, 8 grandchildren, 1 greatgrandson and well as numerous loving relatives and friends."

**49 years and 11 months??!!  You know good and well someone had already gone to a lot of effort to plan a huge shin-dig for this milestone, right?  So I commented that if I were Teresa S. the beloved wife I would not only be sad but more than a little bit pissed off right about now.


This sparked a whole conversation about how you always read about women passing who have been predeceased by their husbands for years and decades, but men?  2 seconds after the wife dies they are back on the market and have a new wife right away.  You know what I am talking about?  You see it all the flipping time.


Here is where the controversy comes in.  Mr. Big Ed (evil husband) chimes in and says "Well, you don't have to worry about that!"  


Me:  "Really?"


Evil Husband:  "Oh yeah, after 30 years of marriage, who would do THAT again?"



insert 30 seconds of crickets chirping and it slowly soaking in his brain that he actually said that out loud. 




Evil Husband:  "Um, what I mean to say is that, you know, 30 years is enough."


Yeah, like THAT was so much better.  Another short time to let that soak in and then he comes up with this gem:


"What I am trying to say is that after 30 years of you, how could anyone else compare and why would I even bother!"


Whatever.  You know the "he needed killing" defense?


Back to the obits, and not Mr. Big Ed's.

An interesting one began this way "Rick lost his life to lung cancer, on the island of Kauai. He was there accepting a job to teach arts and craft."

**Ok, I have questions.  Did he know he had lung cancer before he moved to Hawaii to teach?  Was he diagnosed after the move?  Did he not want to come back home to the loving family here in Texas to spend his remaining days?  The family did write a very loving and beautiful tribute to him so I don't think there were any hard feelings.


And we have a tie for Most Interesting Way to Say Your Loved One is Deceased.  I will quote the opening to both and let you be the judge.

1. "Lights must have dimmed at chic tourist spots and fine dining establishments around the globe on July 26, when Mary Jane passed after a long illness. She was 85. The fashionable redhead was an enthusiastic world traveler who was always the center of attention, livening up any gathering with her stories and opinions, facts and wise observations, gained from her globetrotting and life experience."

2. " 'O-75' The final bing ball of the final bingo game has been called as the final child of Daniel and Louevie Ophelia was called home on July 27, at the age of 96. She joins her parents, her brothers; Major, Homer, John, Douglas and her sisters; Robbie and Louise as she passes into the hands of the Lord and eternal rest."

**What say you?  Weren't both of those awesome?


Sadly, we are still following the trend towards more and more deaths due to complications of Alzheimer's.  There were no other small children or babies listed other than the one I shared with you on the last post.  My heart still breaks and I still cry every time I think about it.

New topic!

Anyone watching summer t.v.?

Big Brother started up and I was so excited to get to see Evel Dick again and then *poof* he was gone!

Hell's Kitchen is on and it has got to be hard to find that many annoying cooks.

Weeds and the Big C are back on Showtime and both are shaping  up to have a great season.

Entourage is back for it's final season.

Celebrity Rehab is on and good Lord!  What a bunch of idiots!

I hope things are well with you and you are enjoying your summer (or winter if you are reading from the southern hemisphere!).

4 comments:

  1. Wow, they definitely could have just said "almost 50 years of marriage..."

    Mr. Big Ed... haha. It was a good recovery in the end, no?

    Those 2 passing euphemisms are GREAT!

    Why would you want to include that you were on a job interview when you died? That's just TMI...

    Big Brother - UGH, I was irritated because my DVR of it cut off the other night thanks to the whole debt-non-announcements.

    Hell's Kitchen - LOL. Yes, it must be. Sadly, this was a King/I show, and I have not kept up with it these past few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Segway. Funny girl. Segue. That Mr. Ed got his foot out of his mouth a little bit! I've been going through pictures from the last 14 years today. Several of you and others brought back wonderful mammaries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time you do the obits, I tell myself I'm going to sit down and write a really good one for myself. Then I get distracted by something shiny and hope that one of my kids will write something better than "Mom died, we'll miss her".

    Mr. Ed is funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 49 years and 11 months reminds me of my Grandparents. My Grandma wanted a big fancy 50th Anniversary party and made her wishes quite clear. She even bought a fancy gown for it. However, my Grandpa died after year 49 of wedded bliss and I don't know what my Grandma was more upset about, losing her husband or missing out on wearing her fancy gown at her 50th Anniversary party.

    For years after Grandpa died, she'd grumble about how she never got to wear her gown. When she died, I made sure she was finally able to wear her gown. She was buried in it.

    ReplyDelete