Monday, April 4, 2011

AMC has done it again

AMC which I believe stands for American Movie Classics or some such thing, has gone and done it again! Not only do they have the award-winning fabulous not-to-miss Breaking Bad, and Mad Men, but now they have a brand new series that kicked off last night.

The Killing is what they call must-see t.v.  I had read a little about it and thought hmmm, maybe. But I set the dvr to record it and watched it last night.  I should have paid attention to the fact that the pilot was TWO HOURS LONG!  I swear I was up all damn night after watching Showtime's new The Borgias most excellent pilot and then The Killing.

Who remembers back in the '80s there was a series about the killing of a young girl and it kept focusing in on her eyeball?  Do any of you remember what I am talking about?  I was concerned that this new show The Killing might be similar to that one due to the fact that it is about a young girl who gets killed in the opening and apparently that is what the series is about, the solving of this murder.

Well, let me tell you there is nothing similar to that boring, cheesy '80s series.  This was riveting, on the edge of your seat stuff.  I promise you, you won't want to miss this show.

Here is what AMC has to say about this series:


AMC has begun production on the network's next original series, The Killing. From writer, executive producer and series showrunner Veena Sud (Cold Case), The Killing is based on the wildly successful Danish television series Forbrydelsen and tells the story of the murder of a young girl in Seattle and the subsequent police investigation. Season one will consist of thirteen one-hour episodes and will debut with a 2 hour premiere on Sun., Apr. 3 at 9PM | 8C.
The Killing ties together three distinct stories around a single murder including the detectives assigned to the case, the victim's grieving family, and the suspects. Set in Seattle, the story also explores local politics as it follows politicians connected to the case. As the series unfolds, it becomes clear that there are no accidents; everyone has a secret, and while the characters think they've moved on, their past isn't done with them.

Now the show centers around this detective who looked slightly familiar to me.  At first glance I thought she was Ron Howard's daughter Bryce Dallas Howard


But no, not her.

It turns out her name is Mireille Enos.  And she used to be in Big Love.  She played Kathy, who was the sweet girl married to Joe, Bill's brother, when Joe's first wife went off the deep end and was poisoning people. Here's a picture of her as Kathy, then as herself, and then as the detective in The Killing.

 And





See why I thought she was Li'l Opie Cunningham's daughter?  Isn't she pretty?

Now, on the Showtime The Killing website, they have clues you can peruse, like Rosie's (the victim) room.  There is a suspect tracker where people go on and vote on who they think did it and keep watching all the twists and turns.  It's almost like an audience participation show.

It just dawned on me what show this reminded me of.  Prime Suspect.  Did any of you watch those awesome shows with the incomparable Helen Mirren?  Kind of dark, edgy, real-life stuff.  That's exactly what this show reminded me of.

Watch it, you won't be disappointed.  And if any of you can remember the name of the cheesy '80s show I keep trying to remember the name of, please let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Twin Peaks!
    And great review--now there's another show I want to see!
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, I'm gonna have to dvr that one. shame on you - you know I was trying to cut DOWN on tv ;)

    ReplyDelete