Sunday, November 15, 2009

Thankfulness and Gratitude


One of my facebook friends posted a suggestion that we each put one thing we are grateful for each day until Thanksgiving. I thought this was a fabulous idea and have been doing so. I kinda wish I had thought of this myself and had started even earlier! It's interesting to see the things that others list that they are grateful for.
Let's be honest here, we have so much more than 90% of the rest of the world. If we aren't thinking about it and being thankful every day we are undeserving triflin' asses, aren't we?
We could start right at the top and be grateful for:
1. Being fortunate enough to be Americans and the lucky few on earth who have more freedom and opportunities than everyone else.
2. Clean potable water. Enough said.
3. Food. And wonderful choices of anything grown anywhere in the world available to us anytime. So what if it's not strawberry season, it is somewhere and they are willing to ship them to us. For a price.
4. Infrastructure that allows us to have electricity, gas, sewage, garbage pickup at the flip of a switch. Turn off some of that stuff and see how far outside the box you have to think to come up with an alternative.
5. Public Libraries. This is a wonderful resource that many other countries don't have. Some of my happiest memories from childhood are in libraries.
Okay, I don't want to get all preachy, I just wanted to share some reasons for thankfulness and gratitude this season. Feel free to share your top 5 list here as well!

3 comments:

  1. I'm playing 30 days of thankful on facebook :)

    here is a summary list...
    1. I'm thankful for my family ("my" family + Chris'... I couldn't be luckier)
    2. thankful for my friends... the sweetest, funnest, most caring, most daring
    3. thankful for technology advances that make it amazingly easy to do all kinds of crazy things
    4. thankful to have a job that I rarely worry about losing and that I enjoy most days
    5. thankful for Chris... for his patience, his love, his cooking, his laughter, his ability to make me laugh everyday

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and thankful for the multi-functional word "triflin'"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny I was thinking this same thing today. I am grateful for being able to stay home and read wonderful writings...this blog included :)

    ReplyDelete