Since I am doing the Plastic Purge and the Carb Purge at the same time I am just going to do combined updates on how it is going.
First up, Plastic. This is so difficult. If you aren't doing this, but are following along, I hope you are noticing when you pick up something if there is plastic involved in the item itself or in the packaging. And not only notice that it is there, but whether or not it is necessary or could be done with another substance.
Here is an example: I have recently posted about trying to buy dish soap, the kind for the sink, not the machine and how there is not one brand or type of dish soap that doesn't come in plastic. Have you looked? Your choice is really clear plastic or white plastic. But it's plastic.
So my Compacty Bloggy friend Julia who is the genius who thought this challenge up, corrected me. She posted a picture of what they used in the olden days before the days of plastic bottles. Take a look at this thing:
Isn't that a clever little contraption? You put your leftover bits of soap bars in the basket and when you are filling up your sink with hot water to wash, you stick this soap swisher in the water and you, well you swish it around! I am now on the hunt for such a treasure.
If you would love to read how this came about and follow Julia's progress through the Plastic Purge of June 2011, please click over here to the first day of the purge and read along. Julia is a wonderful, clever, and creative person, an accomplished writer, and just a joy to read. I am proud to say I know her, even if it just internet-ally and not physically in person!
So there is an answer to every query, a lid for every pot, a back to every front. Whatever with that silliness!
Back to the Plastic Purging, I haven't posted much in the last 2 weeks about it because with the sciatica kicking my ass and I just left the house for the first time in over a week, I haven't bought anything, I haven't been anywhere to drag plasticky stuff in. Mr. Big Ed has been really good about taking care of me and even coming home for lunch every day to cook for me. So if he has brought anything in, I haven't seen it and I refuse to say anything to him if he did.
But the big thing for me is that I am noticing how little I really need to buy. What do I need? Occasionally we run out of some consumable item, be it food or body products or whatever. But what else do we truly need? Are we suffering from lack of something? No. We are all happy, healthy, and surrounded by more "stuff" than we would ever use in 10 lifetimes. All of our bedrooms have beds, sheets, quilts and blankets. We have mostly-new towels in all the bathrooms. What else do we need? I have a box set up in the garage continually for Goodwill donations. You would think that eventually we would run out of shit to donate. But no. I have already shared with you my rule of Nothing in the front door without an equal item going out the back door. If that holds true, we should always stay at the same level of stuff or slightly less. But no.
So I have not brought a lot of plastic into my home, but I haven't brought a lot of anything in either. It's not like I went out and chose the lovely environmental item over the shoddy Made in China plastic crap, I just haven't brought anything home. But what I have done so far is to become really mindful of everything that I put on my shopping list. How is it packaged? Is it really the only thing that fits the bill or is there an alternative of equal value that might be less plasticky? Is this an item of quality that will last or of beauty that brings joy? If it is a food or consumable item, how close to it's natural state is it? Has it been adulterated beyond what is necessary? If I buy orange juice I have to deal with either a plastic bottle with a plastic top or with the frozen concentrate paper tube with metal ends and a plastic strip; but if I buy oranges, all I have left is orange peels that can be dried into pot pourri or grated for another dish or composted. Try to get your purchases to be as close to the original as possible and you will have less packaging and therefore less plastic to deal with. That is what I have learned 21 days in on this challenge.
Now, on to the Low Carb, High Protein, Low Fat food regimen that I am following courtesy of my good friend Judy. Judy is the most wonderful person. She just radiates joy and positivity. If there are angels walking among us, she is definitely one. Check out her blog if you want to follow this or just go to be inspired.
I am on day 4 of Phase 2 of the diet. And let me tell you in just 11 days I have already learned so much about my body.
1. I am carb addicted. Physically and mentally.
2. I don't normally eat enough food, and never enough of the right foods.
3. I haven't been treating my body well.
4. Plan ahead!!! You can't eat healthily and take care of yourself if you don't have a plan!
5. The scale can be your friend. It can let you know that things are going well or that something isn't right and you need to think about it and recalibrate something.
6. I need a new scale. And like everything else I have to do all kinds of research and ask everyone what kind they have, what is the best, does it have plastic, is it accurate, etc. So please, PLEASE, in the comments let me know about your scale.
7. When Phase 2 started and I could add in a bit of carrot and beets I was never so happy. The bright colors cheered me as did the crunch, texture and flavor. Have I mentioned the carb addiction?
8. If you think I was happy with the carrots and beets you should have seen me with the orange. Cold, organic, juicy and delicious in its orangey perfection. That was the best orange I have ever eaten.
9. I am learning to enjoy my morning hot tea WITHOUT sugar or cream. It's not nearly as satisfying, but I am learning.
10. In the first 5 days I had several evenings where I suddenly had a craving for a spoonful of peanut butter. I mean I would have beaten down anyone who got between me and my Jiff. It was strong and powerful. I was taken aback by this as I don't eat peanut butter on a daily basis. Wth was that about? So I listened to my body and I did have a spoonful of peanut butter. And it was good. Then I resisted the next night and didn't do it. But the third time it happened I had the spoonful. After that I haven't had a single craving. Not for peanut butter, not for anything. I am trying to just live in the moment and enjoy what is in front of me. Which leads back to number 4. If you haven't planned, there isn't anything in front of you. So make a plan, and use it.
That's it for me right now. Any thoughts?

scale: mine is basic... something like this (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16814881)
ReplyDeleteplastic: you know, I started thinking about plastic. Because, like you, I don't really need much! And I really do try not to buy much. The one glaring area where plastic invades my life is with to-go food. I'm thinking that I should start bringing my own tupperware with me to restaurants!
carb: it sounds like you are learning a lot from this challenge! I tend to be against strict rules-based programs because they seem setup to fail in the long term. But the lessons you're learning about food/body will be good things to take away :)
Yeah, you lost me at "diet."
ReplyDeleteMy scale is a big, fat lying liar of a lying scale. Therefore, I do not believe a word it says. Or the number it shows.
Because it's all lies, LIES I SAY!!
Kelly Pie, my scale must be your scale's sneaky passive-aggressive cousin. And I scoped out Consumer Reports' review of scales and their Best Pick is the Taylor brand, model #7506. So I am going to replace my wishy-washy scale with this highly recommended one.
ReplyDeleteThis scale is available at BB&B, Kohls, Target, SprawlMart, Amazon, pretty much everywhere for only $24.00 average.