Isn't it sad that people really and truly do die at the holidays? And more of them do it then than at the rest of the year. Since before Thanksgiving we have had 3 full pages each Sunday rather than just the usual two or two and a bit. That's a pretty big increase.
There was a really cute photo of a man by the name of Alonzo David King, Jr. who was known by one and all as Bill. Bill was received into the arms of the Lord. Bill was married to his high school sweetheart Daisy Mae for 60 years. 60 years!
Kenneth Duke Morrison (note that Duke appears to be a real middle name and not a nickname in quotations) passed away peacefully of multiple myeloma. I don't know much about multiple myeloma but they mention apprecation to the bone marrow transplant unit at the hospital.
Rudolph Robles lost his battle with pancreatic cancer.
There were a lot, and I mean a lot of the obituaries that mentioned sending money to the Alzheimer's Association. It's really scary to me to think about getting Alzheimer's. It is such a horrible disease for the whole family to deal with.
Several of the obituaries were heartfelt and beautifully written and truly touched my heart. I wish that everyone would be so well-loved that someone in their family would memorialize them this way.
The family of Tomas Rivera wrote one of the best ones I have read this year. Here are some highlights of what they said about him. "Tomas and his loving wife Frances created a home that would foster acceptance, understanding, and love. He represented the passion and strong work ethic of a devoted steelworker who supported his family in both the good and the hard times. Through his children and down to his great grandchildren he exemplified the meaning of dedication and honor. His presence will never cease to exist as it can be seen in all 53 of his descendants. It is because of him we all know where we come from and where we are going. We thank you for teaching us how to lead and love a family."
Isn't that beautiful? Did you tear up a little? I sure did. What a loving and respectful tribute.
Bob Williams family summed it up with this: "Bob liked everybody and everybody liked Bob. Friendly and outgoing with a great sense of humor, he will be deeply missed by all who knew and loved him."
And the best name today goes to . . . . . . (insert drum roll) . . . . . . .
Annie Maude Murphy Norris. Who goes by the name Maudie.
Which makes her girlhood name Maudie Murphy.
Maudie Murphy! Like Audie Murphy. Only Maudie. Bah!! I love it!
Maudie lived a full and exciting life. She traveled, she loved to crochet and grow orchids and African violets, going bowling, making gifts for her friends. She sounds like a real charmer. I would have loved to have known her.
I really would love to start hanging out at the senior centers or the retirement homes or something. But I don't think I would be able to read the obits afterwards, if they were all people I might know. I don't think my heart would be able to do it and not break into a thousand pieces.
But seriously, for years I have considered taking the training to be a hospice volunteer. It would be like being a doula for people who are dying and helping them to make the transition peacefully and on their own terms. That is still on the list of things I want to accomplish. Like quilting, learning to speak Italian and Russian.
I am off to bake some cookies for a cookie exchange tomorrow. Enjoy your Monday.
Oh! And don't forget that tonight is the big full lunar eclipse. Tomorrow is the winter solstice and also the full moon. It seems exciting to have all this at once, doesn't it?
Sadly, as we drove back home last night, after a long day of Christmas-celebrating, I said to Chris, "sad as it is, the thing I am most thankful for today is that my Grandmom didn't pass." That would have just completely destroyed Christmas for my dad (especially) forever. It really is hard to have people die right before Christmas.
ReplyDeleteI think you being a hospice worker would be amazing. Chris has been going off on the nursing home staff recently for not caring/neglecting, but it has to be so hard on them. If you spend the time and get attached to your patients, you know you're setting yourself up for heartache. It's a tough job....