It has been a while since I have mentioned what all I have been reading. I used to be clever and post photos of the books stacked up on my night stand. And then I would show you a pic of each book front.
But now?
I have a Kindle!!! Which is awesome in most regards, but in the show-off-your-book-fronts category, it is a loser.
So let me tell you all about what I have been reading and you can just imagine the fronts of the books.
First off, I just finished reading about the Michael Vick dogs. I thought it would be a heart-warming story of triumph over sadism, adversity, slavery, etc. But then it opened with a chapter from one of the dogs' point of view and a glimpse into the underbelly of the dog fighting world and the cruel way they train these poor animals and how they kill them. This chapter I had to read in very small doses.
The book outlined how the law enforcement team came to be there in the first place and how meticulous they were in everything they did to make sure everyone involved was brought to justice. Then it finally got down to the heart of the story which was what happened to each of the 51 dogs rescued and where they are now. This was why I wanted to read this book.
You know back in the day, the dog breeds now commonly known as "pit bulls" were family dogs, they were the dog you wanted your kids to have. They were known as nannies. These dogs would do absolutely anything for their humans. Even things against their nature. Like stay loyal to the death for assholes who think forcing other creatures to fight for their entertainment is a good thing.
Back to the book and off my soapbox, this was a good book. I liked how different chapters were told from all different points of view; i.e. the dogs, the rescuers, the cops, the lawyers, etc. It really gave you a wide range of perspectives. Two thumbs up for this one.
I also read the Squirrel meets Chipmunk, the newest David Sedaris. And I have to say "well, this book was certainly different." Don't get me wrong, it was good. It was completely different from all his other stuff, so it was unexpected. It was creative and different.
Before that I read Freedom, the latest Oprah book club selection. After slogging my way through it, I still have no idea why she was so fired up about this thing. Meh. It didn't do a damn thing for me.
And speaking of books that I just can't find any passion for? What is up with the Girl with the tattoo books? I have tried and tried to get through the little free chapters that Amazon lets you try for free, but nope, nothing.
I also finished up Shanghai Girls which was recommended highly by my mother. Fair. not great, not terrible, just fair.
So, hit me with some suggestions of great books. They don't need to be new, just new to me. My mind thirsts for fabulous turns of phrase and sometimes the brand new wells are dry.
hmmmmmm on the Vick dogs book. It really does sound intriguing, but I'm not sure I'd make it past chapter 1 :(
ReplyDeleteI'm reading South of Broad right now (Pat Conroy). I so love him.
I know what you mean about the Dragon Tattoo books - I slogged through the first part of the first book, and then when I became a bit used to the funny Swedish names and his style of writing and what was going on (about 1/4 to 1/3 through) it took off. I couldn't put it down. And the second one was even better than the first, and the third one was better than the second. Try them again...they really are good!
ReplyDeleteI'll have to check out some of your other recommendations - thanks!
I just started The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (I think that's the name of it; another problem with the Kindle is I'm not looking at the cover ever and forget exact titles and authors) and I am GLUED to it. Excellent so far.
ReplyDeleteLOVED, LOVED, LOVED AND LOVE THE GIRL WITH DRAGON TATTOO SERIES. LOVE IT.
ReplyDeleteFreedom: I'm with you on that one. Keep waiting for my "aha" moment -- where the heck is it?????
Michael Vick: I hope he's not profiting from the sale of the book in any way - monetarily or acceptance or understanding. That would be a further evil. Will not read that even if he isn't - I think it would keep me awake at night . . . .
Recommend: All Over but the Shoutin' (Rick Bragg); The Happiness Project (Gretchen Rubin); by Sue Bender: Plain and Simple, Stretching Lessons, Everyday Sacred; Eats Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss (a funny book about punctuation); The Education of Little Tree by Forrest Carter (true story); I'll stop -- I could go on and on and on and on and on