Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Reading material

It's been a while since I have talked about which books I am reading. So I am here to rectify that little oversight. : )

Again, in no particular order, here are some of the books I have read or that are currently residing on my nightstand:

1. Babies remember birth. This was really interesting. Another of those things that keep smacking me in the face to remind me to quit talking so much and only say things I have really thought over and know that they will have value to those hearing them.

2. Jane Goodall, some book about food and eating habits around the world and what we should be doing. Can't recall the title right now.

3. Push - the book that has been made into the movie "Precious". Really good, and makes you want to go out in the world and start making an impact on someone's life.

4. Say you are one of them - Very sad, and powerful book set in Africa in different countries. Some of the most tragic lives I have ever read about.

5. Serena - for a book club. I just started it and so far I am only finding one character with redeeming qualities. The rest of these people are money-grubbing heartless bastards. Not too sure how this is gonna work for me.

I am STILL looking at the Kindle. I compared it to the B&N Nook and the other e-readers out there and I really do prefer the Kindle. But I want the Kindle DX which is not too much bigger overall, but it has a much bigger screen. Which means less scrolling, etc. And guess what?

Did you guess? Did you guess right? : )

My AMEX reward points can be used for a Kindle DX!!! Woot Woot!! I have enough points to get the smaller one for free and almost enough to get the DX. So I am going to continue waiting till I can get the one I want. Listen, I am nothing if not all about the anticipation being half the fun. Sometime this year I will have a Kindle and be just beside myself. Did you know that you can be reading a book on the Kindle and someone says to you, "Hey we need to take a quick road trip." And you can just take your Kindle and change it so that it READS TO YOU while you are road tripping?? Did you know that? Isn't that awesome?

There really isn't much I love more than books. I handle my books reverently. So it seems strange to some people that I would want a Kindle. Kind of an anti-book, or something. But here is how I see it: I can get a book for $9.99 on the Kindle and if indeed it is a great book that needs to be printed in hardback and take up space on my bookshelves then I will go invest in that book and make space for it. If it ISN'T really a great book, then I am only out $9.99 and no trees were cut down to make a copy for me.

Plus the fact that I can carry 3,500 books, plus newspapers and blogs with me in a tiny little amount of space is fab-u-lous!!

Are you reading? did you get any new books for Christmas? Do you have any recommendations? Do you have a Kindle or another type of e-reader? Share your thoughts, recommendations, etc.

3 comments:

  1. ooh.... love the Kindle/Nook concept from the paperless aspect. I am not quite ready for the investment (especially after just buying/assembling a new bookcase!) because most of the books I read are either on loan from my mom (and thus free) or bought at Half Price Books (my total addiction). I figure through both routes I am doing my part for the environment.

    I am NOT a "good" book reader... I go for the crime fiction and pretty much just read anything from James Patterson, John Grisham, Nora Roberts, Catherine Coulter, Linda Fairstein, Pat Conroy, Linda Evanovich, Michael Connelly. I go through them quickly and have just started a tracking spreadsheet to make sure I don't re-buy something I've read.... that has been an issue in the past ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read Patricia Cornwell? The whole Kay Scarpetta series she did is wonderful! I recommend reading them in order as she ages characters, kills them off, that sort of thing. She's good.

    And for me a book must "speak to me", whether it be something that wins awards or just a good trashy romance novel, or a 100 year old cookbook.

    For fun reading you can't go wrong with any of Jill Conner Browne's Sweet Potato Queen series. She is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, yes.... LOVE Patricia Cornwell. She's another that I share with my mom

    ReplyDelete