Just last week I was ranting about not loving the endings to books, and I forgot one of the ones I had just read. "Gone Girl" was recommended by so many different people, I can't even tell you!!
And it was good. It was very cleverly written and drew you in to the story. I kept thinking the whole time I was reading it how much I really didn't like any of the characters. So I was not near as invested in the outcome of this book as I could have been. If any of the characters had been like-able, that is.
But the ending? Holy Cow! I did not see that coming. I was confused by it for a while. Then? I decided it was probably the way idiots like these would behave.
Remember a few months back I posted a list of recommended books? I have been working my way through that list (which is where I got "Gone Girl", by the by) and one of the books recommended was fabulous, outstanding and sensational!!!
This book was so darn good I just wanted to start it over again, right then and there. *****, that's a 5-star rating, is what that is.
So when I was at Half-Price Books I picked up another book by Christopher Moore.
Loved it!!! I finished it last night as it was a quick read. So clever and completely out there.
And you know what? He knows how to finish a book. I mean really finish so that it feels like a full-course meal from soup to nuts. Not just soup.
I was thinking about how I as a reader need to feel really engaged not just with the book but at times with the author as well. Sometimes that feeling of simpatico, of being kindred spirits just comes through and you have a real connection. And I wondered if authors are also trying to make that connection with their stories or if they are writing for themselves and we as readers can go along for the ride or not and we are really superfluous. How important is the audience for the writer? If no one was going to read them ever, would books be written anyway?
Is the writing of a book a "need" within the writer whether or not there would be readers?
Interesting questions to ponder.
Switching gears:
Did y'all see DWTS All Stars? Holy Moly! There was some fabulous dancing going on for Day 1 of competition!
All except for poor Pamela Anderson and little Bristol Palin. That was sad. The judges were so harsh with Pamela, too. I felt really bad for her. Poor thing was trying so hard not to cry on camera.
It's gonna be hard to pick a front runner this season with this line-up. They are all so good.
Switching gears again:
It has been so strange around here without our little Fergus Jackson MacPhee. He is greatly missed. His brother Angus is having some issues, as is Lester Buster. Lester and Fergus were snuggle buddies and Lester is having a hard time finding a comfortable spot without Fergus. It's sad.
And no, I do not want any more pets.
Mostly.


I loved "Gone Girl" but it was more than a little dark and twisted. Those two were some effed up people.
ReplyDeleteIf you liked, "Lamb" you might enjoy, "Death: A Life" by George Pendel. Very tongue-in-cheek and rather hilarious.
I'm not a DWTS viewer so I can't chime in.
I'm sorry for the loss of Fergus. I hate losing a pet. Even with others still there, you definitely feel a void.
Lisapie, that's EXACTLY how I felt about Gone Girl. The whole time I was reading it, I kept thinking that I didn't even like either person, and wondering what people loved so much about the book. But then, I couldn't put it down and even recommended it to my husband, so what does that say about me? The ending...ewww, hated it, but I guess it made sense for the characters. I'll check out the Christopher Moore books, never heard of him.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I wanted to tell you that I loved your post a few weeks back about politics and our bodies. I agree so much with everything you say. I wish I could say it so elequently.
Lisa Pie! It is way past time I bookmarked you! I've been reading back through months of posts. I should have been here a long time ago.
ReplyDeleteSorry about the loss of your furry. I makes my heart clutch to hear of anyone losing a loved pet.
PJ
Thanks, PJ. Glad you are here. I have been a really bad blogger this year. I will try to do better : )
Delete