Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Especially for Gladys

I was going to put Just for Gladys, but then I thought no one else would read this.  So, Especially for Gladys, it is!

Recently I showed a picture of my newly refinished (and reupholstered) antique breakfast room chairs and Gladys asked to see the rest of the set.  Or "suite" as snooty people are wont to say.  My breakfast room suite.  My sweet breakfast room suite!

So for Gladys, here are some pics of the other pieces of the suite.


This the sideboard.  It has my collection of Mexican gorditas sitting on top and apparently my skinny, scrappy and stripey teenaged-acting kitty Angus MacPhee sitting underneath.  What a sneak to get in the picture!


Here is a more up and down view of said sideboard so that you can see the lovely doorbell.  Oh yeah, and also my pewter and talavera cross collection.  Aren't they pretty?


This is the china cabinet.  I don't know what that weird little circle thing is on the drawer.  It is just on the  picture, not there in real life.  I love my china cabinet.


Here's a slightly more close-up view of the china cabinet.  Can you tell that it is full of crap?  Let me show you what I have stuffed it full of.


Walruses!  Walri!  I have a collection of really cute walruses/walri.  And I have chosen to display them in my china cabinet because Hello?  I have 4 cats.  Cats who don't know their own size, their own bulk, their own heft, their own lack of gracefullness.  Cats who knock shit off of table tops and shelves as they try to tippy toe amongst breakable stuff.

After half of my walruses/walri have lost tusks due to the cats, I put them safely inside the china cabinet.

And here is what is on top.



The three things on the left that match are Aynsley china pieces.  My sister brought me the cute little bud vase when she went to London.  Then my mom brought me the cache pot on one of her trips. And somewhere down the road she gave me the other piece with the cute little lid.  Isn't it a beautiful pattern? It's called Cottage Garden.  And who would love to have a service for 12 in that pattern?  Could it be me?  Oh, I love china!  I love a beautifully set table.  Vintage table linens, antique sterling, beautiful china.  I love it.

Anyhoo, the other things up there were all gifts.  The first plate with the dogwood blossoms was painted by my grandma.  And by the by, it will be her 92nd birthday in 3 days.  Holla to Grandma on her birthday!  The cute little rectangular plate was painted by a friend of mine when we were in Chile. And the big beautiful bowl was a gift from one of my doula clients.  It is hand painted with all different Texas wildflowers.  It is gorgeous and a bit whimsical.  I love it.





And look who decided to sit up top with the gorditas?  Oh, what a handsome boy that Angus MacPhee is!  Even if he is an evil teenager who wants to sneak out at night and cause me more gray hairs.

So other than the table that is the sweet breakfast room suite.  The table is covered right now with quilt squares, a sewing machine, scissors and such.  Rachel Pie and I are working on a quilt top that we started back in Minnesota 7 years ago.  We dug it out and started working on it again yesterday.  Pictures of the table will just have to wait.  I hope you can stand the excitement.


5 comments:

  1. You have lovely things. I love when people have collections and mementos that really mean something. You can tell that you have stories behind all your pieces. And my oh my, your furniture is exquisite. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joann! I am always a bit hesitant to open up my doors and show all my "stuff". I am afraid it looks like one of those hoarders shows on t.v.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the gorditas, crucifixes (okay, all things mexican, food, whatev...) and the sideboard. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh! And the kitty, but you probably knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous furniture! love all the memories and stuff :)

    ReplyDelete