I couldn't start this with Happy Easter, Hallelujah, Christ is Risen or any other Easter phrase because technically it is Saturday and not yet Easter. Yes, I am being nit-picky about that, but that's okay.
Lent started with me intending to make Left-Over Soup once a week and using the savings from the meal I didn't make to give more to the homeless I encounter on a daily basis. What ACTUALLY happened is this: I pre-bought a big of mixed apples and oranges and some small bags of granola stuff and some nuts, bottles of water and brown paper bags. Then I typed up nice little affirmation things like "You are Loved", "You are a child of God", "Smile, and pass it on". I put one of each in a brown paper bag and rolled them tightly closed (because I found out if they are NOT tightly closed, they open when I brake and something will roll right under my feet and gas pedal, not good!). I carry about 2 or 3 of these every time I leave the house.
So I pre-spent the money I was going to save during Lent by making the soup. And several times the Left-Over Soup turned into some other Left-Over meal rather than soup. Some things just don't lend themselves to broth!! But I have to say here, my homeless crew loved their bags. They really loved their bags. Most especially, they loved getting a bottle of water. I hope they liked the fruit and nuts and the messages.
What I am taking from this Lenten season is that it is SO much better to give than to receive. And that it takes a very small effort on my part to make a difference in someone's day. I have a "station" on my kitchen counter next to the fruit bowl where I have the little strips of paper affirmations, the box with the little bags of nuts and the paper bags. When I leave the house in the mornings I just open a bag and put one of each in and then grab a bottle of water and then remember to roll it closed tightly! I found the nuts and granola in the clearance aisle at Target, the bags cost very little, the fruit is inexpensive and while I haven't figured out the exact cost of each, I know it wasn't very much.
My husband has started carrying extra bottles of water with him to give out as well.
I am calling my Lenten project a success even if it didn't go exactly as planned, but then again what really does?
Have a very happy and blessed Easter with your loved ones. Be well and don't forget to eat some Peeps!!
What a thoughtful and great way to make a difference in someone's life.
ReplyDeleteAre you going to continue doing this?
8-))
that is fantastic! I love the idea and love how well you executed it :)
ReplyDelete